It can also be customized to gather and display almost any type of information on the user's desktop or terminal.
Conky can be extended & customized with the Lua programming language, and uses its own configuration file syntax. Its biggest strength lies in its ability to be extended through scripting.
It is ported to devices such as the Nokia N900, and can be ported to practically any system with GCC and an X11 implementation.
User created customized scripts, demonstrating Conky's modularity and versatility in function and appearance can be found here.
- Displays statistics for CPU, disk, memory, top processes, network, and more anywhere on your desktop.
- Supports many popular Linux music player.
- Text-based configuration allows for a high level of customization.
- Built in IMAP and POP3 support
- Built in support for many popular music players (MPD, XMMS2, BMPx, Audacious).
- Can be extended using built in Lua support, or any of your own scripts and programs.
- Built in Imlib2 and Cairo bindings for arbitrary drawing with Lua.
$ sudo apt-get install conky
Conky is in portage. You can install it with:
# emerge app-admin/conkyor
# paludis -i app-admin/conkyArch
Conky is available in pacman:
# pacman -S conky